Rockbreaker is a hostile Enemy machine in Horizon Zero Dawn that the players can confront to obtain Experience and Loot. It can also be found in normal, corrupted and daemonic variations.
- A Rockbreaker’s chassis closely resembles the body of a badger or a mole, though unlike these animals, it has a tail whose length is approximately one quarter of the length of its body. Its most prominent feature is a massive mouth, composed of an enormous roller-cone drill bit. Each cone is set in a hinged jaw.
- At the end of each of its four short, stout, powerful limbs is a large extremity called a digging arm that resembles an excavator’s shovel. Under the machine's belly are twin Blaze sacs, and twin exhaust ports are positioned atop the body at the base of the tail.
Rockbreaker Combat Information
- Behavior Info:The Rockbreaker is built for underground mining operations, tunneling through rock and soil with its mouth, ingesting large quantities of rock, which it processes and extracts mineral resources from. It surfaces frequently to expel large boulders, presumably boulders of processed rock, from its mouth. During activity, it may form a mound of rubble on the surface containing resources that humans find useful. At intervals, it rests on the surface for a short time, presumably to release accumulated exhaust, before descending underground again.
- The mineral resources that it extracts are presumably collected for transport to cauldrons to manufacture new machine units.
- Once engaged in combat, the Rockbreaker's ability to submerge underground makes it somewhat difficult to hit. It moves underground as if it was swimming, and can emerge at any point on the battlefield, attack and go underground again. This makes it hard for Aloy to inflict elemental damage on the Rockbreaker, as it hinders the repeated strikes from elemental weapons needed to cause such a state.
- This is also the case with tying it down; by going underground, the Rockbreaker breaks any attached Ropecaster lines before full tie-down is achieved.
- Weakness: Freeze
- Resistance: Fire
- Leaping Crush: Propels chassis out of ground and lands on enemy. The single most powerful attack the Rockbreaker has, it deals 250 damage.
- Jaw Smash: Lunging bite with jaws. Deals 200 damage.
- Lunge Crush: Springs forward and lands on enemy. Deals 200 damage.
- Shark Bite: Emerges vertically from ground to envelop the enemy in its jaws. Deals 200 damage.
- Spinning Smash: Rotating bludgeon attack with its body. Does 180 damage.
- Rock Blast: Hurls boulders horizontally from mouth at enemy. Does 50 damage per rock.
- Rock Volcano: Hurls boulders vertically from mouth around body at the enemy. Does 100 damage.
- Rockbreakers seem to be extremely rare; the only known Rockbreaker site is the one in the Rustwash region, which spawns 2 units at a time. Any Rockbreakers encountered beyond this site are one-time quest-specific occurrences.
- The daemonic variation of the Rockbreaker are located in the Banuk Region known as The Cut, which is exclusive to the DLC The Frozen Wilds, and is not available in the base version of Horizon Zero Dawn.
- Rockbreaker can drop the following equipment when defeated:
|Hard outer casing to protect synthetic muscle and operational systems.||Freeze||Fire|
|Destroying these components disables the ability to burrow underground.||Tear||None|
|Hitting this component deals great damage to the machine.||All||None|
|Destroying this component disables the ranged elemental attack, and triggers an elemental explosion.||All||None|
Rockbreaker Notes & Tips
- The Rockbreaker is the only large machine not involved in any part of the main quest.
- Rockbreakers seem to attack all sources of sound, which could be the reason why other machines steer well clear of a Rockbreaker site.
|Enemies in Horizon Zero Dawn|
Behemoth ♦ Broadhead ♦ Charger ♦ Corruptor ♦ Death Bringer ♦ Fire Bellowback ♦ Fireclaw ♦ Freeze Bellowback ♦ Frostclaw ♦ Glinthawk ♦ grazer ♦ Lancehorn ♦ Longleg ♦ Ravager ♦ Sawtooth ♦ Scorcher ♦ Scrapper ♦ Shell-Walker ♦ Snapmaw ♦ Stalker ♦ stormbird ♦ Strider ♦ Tallneck ♦ Thunderjaw ♦ Trampler ♦ Watcher
Join the page discussion Tired of anon posting? Register!